In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

In Theatres

Postby Noor_Razzak » 05 Mar 2014 04:51

What films have you seen theatrically so far this year and what did you think?

So far the start of the year had nothing of interest for me, recently I went to see The Lego Movie - 8/10 totally surprised about this, did not expect it to be as fun as it was.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Rate 2014 so far...

Postby Erik_Haraldsson » 07 Mar 2014 00:35

12 Years a Slave, 8/10
It was still showing in the local cinema, so decided to see it tonight. Some random thoughts, as they come to my mind:
Liked that most (but not all) characters that they focused on, became more than the typical caricatures you would expect.
Would liked to have seen a more "realistic"/interesting/longer look at Solomon's life before he was kidnapped. Now it was just like a few minutes of progressive paradise on earth, while my understanding is that there were quite a bit of segregation and racism in the north too.
There were very little in terms of scenes where Solomon interacted with other slaves (except Patsey obviously), which seems rather odd, but was maybe true to the book.
It's a slow-moving film in the best sense.
Erik_Haraldsson

Postby Erik_Haraldsson » 23 Mar 2014 20:46

The Monuments Men, weak 6/10
I am really missing some backstory of the characters, in order to make it easier to care about them. We do get to know more throughout the movie, but it still doesn't feel enough.
The editing is also quite abrupt at times, it is quite hard to get a grip of whom is going where and why.
One the plus side, I liked the acting and the story gets progressively more interesting.

American Hustle, 7/10
Great acting, but felt like the story couldn't really decide if it was "Donnie Brasco" or "Boogie Nights", in that it is hard to know whether to look at it as 70s kitsch with a story beneath, or a serious story.
Also expected that the mobster-connection would be introduced much earlier in the movie, based on the trailer.

Dallas Buyers Club, 9/10
Great cast, great story, not really sure what else to say.
Erik_Haraldsson

Postby Noor_Razzak » 01 Apr 2014 00:41

Just got back from seeing Wes Anderson's latest film, The Grand Budapest Hotel 9/10 - loved it, his films get better and better.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 01 Apr 2014 01:02

I just haven't been able to get into Anderson's style personally. My fave is the one most dislike, Steve Zissou. :lol:

Anyway, watched my first 2014 (according to imdb) today. Just a short though called Found. Thoughts in the what did you watch thread.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Noor_Razzak » 01 Apr 2014 04:57

Samuel_Scott wrote:I just haven't been able to get into Anderson's style personally. My fave is the one most dislike, Steve Zissou. :lol:

I'm a big fan of his, loved all of his films, even Zissou, I thought it was great!
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 06 Apr 2014 03:10

Captain America: The Winter Solider 9/10 one of the best Marvel films, a comic popcorn action movie with political thriller elements, well executed, great villains, and stunning action, everything you could ever want from a comic book movie.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 10 Apr 2014 05:59

The Raid 2 - 9/10 holy moly, what a stunner, amazing film, lots of incredible action, easily one of the best action films of the last decade.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 08 May 2014 04:28

Neighbors - just saw this at a preview screening, the first great comedy of the summer, terrific fun, Seth Rogen was funny as hell and this is the first thing with Zac Efron in it that I didn't totally hate. The casting was perfect, the gags were funny, worth checking out 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 08 May 2014 13:06

Nothing at all...
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Noor_Razzak » 19 May 2014 00:59

Godzilla - was really looking forward to this film, the trailers were all hitting the right spots, but in the end it ended up being more of the same old type of monster movie, it had a lot of entertaining parts, decent effects and a solid cast but overall it was kind of boring. 6/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Jim_Mcdonaugh » 19 May 2014 13:07

Noor_Razzak wrote:Godzilla - was really looking forward to this film, the trailers were all hitting the right spots, but in the end it ended up being more of the same old type of monster movie, it had a lot of entertaining parts, decent effects and a solid cast but overall it was kind of boring. 6/10.

It's a remake of that '98 movie?
Jim_Mcdonaugh

Postby Noor_Razzak » 19 May 2014 16:51

Jim_Mcdonaugh wrote:It's a remake of that '98 movie?

No, it has nothing to do with the '98 film.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 May 2014 16:23

I caught 3 Days to Kill last night - Somewhat convoluted thriller with some mildly funny comic moments. A good cast, with Costner in one of his better roles in some time, but a criminal misuse of Amber Heard. The action is typical McG style - pretty but soulless - and the plot follows Luc Besson's general standard. Worth watching, but nothing special. 3/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Noor_Razzak » 29 May 2014 16:42

A Million Ways to Die in the West, went to a preview screening, the film was technically well made and it was funny in parts, but wasn't an all out riot like Ted was. One cameo brought the house down. Overall enjoyable comedy, but could have been funnier. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 01 Jun 2014 04:06

Filth - While Trainspotting is the best adaptation of Irvine Welsh's work, I think Flith could come in a close second, there were some problems, James McAvoy's Bruce is not as twisted as in the book, but I can see why they toned his character down, and by saying that he's still a vile and despicable character but is more palpable and therefor makes him a character that the audience won't totally hate. It can be a dark film in parts and does go on longer than it really should, not for everyone for sure. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 11 Jun 2014 03:52

Under the Skin - There's a special place in hell reserved for a filmmaker that makes a fully naked Scarlett Johansson boring. It was slow, lacked any narrative, and had metaphors so deep they're practically unreachable. There were a couple of great shots in this film, but otherwise it was too arty for its own good and just plain boring. Total surprise coming from the director of Sexy Beast and Birth (both films I toughly enjoyed), this one get 1/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 20 Jun 2014 05:35

Finally got to see X-Men Days of Future Past, easily the best X-Men film in the series, epic in every way, while not the best comic book movie ever (I think The Dark Knight deserves that title) but still a solid entry into the genre and now I can't wait for Age of Apocalypse, 9.5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 07 Jul 2014 00:45

Went to a screening of Edge of Tomorrow, easily one of the best films of the summer. The trailers looked terrible, but after a lot of great word of mouth from trusted friends, I went to see it for myself and was pleasantly surprised. Great story, great action and effects, was engaging and not entirely predicable. I think this is the winner of the summer so far 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 15 Jul 2014 02:35

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, wow, this is another winner. One of the most intelligent and thrilling sequels in recent memory, far surpasses the first instalment. This is terrific entertainment with a solid story, excellent action and stunning effects. Another 10/10 movie here!
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Next

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion