In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Davy_Lee » 24 Aug 2019 03:21

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - 7/10
Before seeing it, I had watched the trailer and thought it was going to be pretty enjoyable. My guess was right. The plot plays like a teenage Indiana Jones with just enough childish humor to retain its cartoonish nature. But unlike Indy Jones who ventures intentionally on a mission into the jungles, Dora, along with her classmates, is deceived into becoming an accidental adventurer in search of her missing parents deep in the Peruvian jungle. Isabela Moner gives the titular teenage adventurer a winning performance. Delicioso! :)
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 26 Aug 2019 03:48

Angel Has Fallen - 7/10
Newly appointed Secret Service director Mike Banning goes on the run after being framed for an assassination attempt on the president's life. It's an action-packed thriller that could be seen as a standalone. The movie actually ends perfectly with the handshaking scene, but the tagged-on comedy in the mid-end credits ruins the overall tone. Then there's also the obligatory and amateurish shaky cam shots in many of the fights. What were they thinking?

I skipped the first two but decided to see the third after watching the trailer. It's nothing new though, just another popcorn movie. If anyone's interested in seeing it, go for an Atmos-equipped movie theater (despite the film Dolby 7.1 sound mix) for amped-up sound during the action sequences. Recommended to old-school action movie junkies.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 21 Sep 2019 05:34

Rambo: Last Blood - 5.5/10
After his old friend's granddaughter is kidnapped by a gang of ruthless Mexican drug cartel and human traffickers, Rambo dishes out his cruelest brand of justice to those responsible.

With its uninspired and derivative revenge plot, Rambo: Last Blood has strayed from the franchise theme on unsung war hero. In the third act, Rambo's outburst of PTSD is excessively exploited on screen that makes the iconic character look like a psychopathic avenger.

The franchise ended well with the 2008 sequel. This newest sequel is the least Rambo-esque of them all.

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 06 Oct 2019 07:49

Ad Astra (IMAX 2D) - 6.5/10
An astronaut is sent on a secret solo mission to Mars to help stop a series of catastrophic power surges, believed to be emanating from a space station of an ill-fated expedition to Neptune headed by the astronaut's estranged father many years before, which are threatening Earth and the solar system.

I like seeing cerebral space movies but didn't quite like the slow pacing of this two-hour psychological sci-fi drama. Partly recommended.

Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 13 Dec 2019 18:34

The Irishman - This was a film I was really looking forward to, I didn't mind the long run time, what I did mind was that it wasn't as satisfying as I'd anticipated it to be. There are some great Scorsese flourishes, it looked incredible. The production design was impeccable, I didn't mind the de-aging effects but the story didn't grip me totally. 6.5/10
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 27 Dec 2019 06:59

October
Joker – 8.5/10
Gemini Man – 5.5/10
Terminator: Dark Fate – 7/10

November
Midway – 6.5/10
Ford v Ferrari – 8/10

December
21 Bridges – 7.5/10
Jumanji: The Next Level – 5.5/10
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – 6.5/10

Davy_Lee

Postby Noor_Razzak » 27 Dec 2019 15:54

The Farewell - Other than an independent drama I had little to no clue what this film was about, decided to see it on a whim. I did not regret my decision, this is a terrific film, it's darkly funny and features an excellent performance from Awkwafina. It's funny, it's touching, it's sad, and it's one terrific film, 9/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 05 Jan 2020 00:43

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - I waited a little bit to finally see once the crowds got low and managed to avoid all spoilers! After the disaster that was The Last Jedi I went into this with zero expectations and came out actually liking it even though it felt like a fan-service film that exists to right the course at the last minute. To be honest I'm ok with fan service, while it's not perfect it hit the right notes where it needed to and managed to entertain me more so than I thought. Overall I wish the last three chapters of the "Skywalker" saga where better I'm reasonably ok with how this one ended. 7/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 20 Jan 2020 04:27

Bad Boys for Life – 7.5/10
The dynamic duo are back in the game to take down a myterious vengeful assassin. This is the best of the three - a surprisingly entertaining blend of action, comedy, and drama.

Davy_Lee

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 21 Feb 2020 08:50

Sonic the Hedgehog
My rating: ***1/2 [I'll admit I'm being a little generous on 1/2.]

Enjoyed it for the most part. Granted its marketing didn't really connect with me, but playing the games at my friend's house several years ago, and nothing else really playing-was enough to get me to see it. Hopefully the sequel will be just as good or better.

Not planning to buy it in the future, but will watch it again when it appears on TV.
Main Player:Oppo UDP-203 Regional Player:LG BH200 TV:P75QX-H1
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Davy_Lee » 01 Mar 2020 05:36

1917 – 7/10
Great cinematography though the seemingly continuous scenes become rather tiring to watch after a while. The one dramatic scene that brought tears to my eyes was when Lance Corporal finally reached the Second Batallion and heard the folk and gospel song "the Wayfaring Stranger" being sung by a soldier to his comrades. Very moving.

Sonic the Hedgehog – 6.5/10
The trailer is better than the movie. Jim Carrey's wacky performance saves the show.

Davy_Lee

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 09 Mar 2020 07:52

Greed
My rating: **1/4

Had a few chuckles here and there. For the most part its just another soft-R; in other words just bad language and missed/failed opportunities to have real adult-R film. Examples:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Few spots could easily had nudity without being exploitation {as in it just part of the story} or towards the end when a character gets mauled by a lion. {You know something like this was going to happen once the lion is introduced early on.} Now unless I missed it, they never show the leg being ripped off. Yet there it is a few shots later. I would have loved for the lion to go off and attack the refugees as well as the party guess-that would have made this movie easily *****. However I shall digress.
I would recommend it for those who like British/business world satire, however should warn that the movie has a low-level of "liberal propaganda" (call it what you will), but it's not shoving it down your throat like (cough) Disney... these days.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 16 Mar 2020 06:37

Onward
My rating **3/4

Pretty much what I expected, given the marketing campaign. However it was a little better than what I though it was going to be. Though if this was a non-Dhiz-Nhee PG-13 or R film I would of loved to see highly inappropriate jokes. I mean common it's the lower half of the body, bathroom and sex jokes are a must :silly: , but I shall digress.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 28 Sep 2020 06:35

Tenet
My Rating *1/2/4

Boring and somewhat predictable. I'll give it a little extras for its half-ass creativity, but the acting is so-so at best. This is by far, Nolan's worst film. I found myself twisting and turning to look at the Joker to my right, three "Des-pee" assets to my left, along with an asian-WWII film (with subtitles) every now and then. Ultimately I find myself asking; would this movie have been better if it were cut down? The answer; yes, but not by much.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 14 Jun 2021 05:20

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway
My Rating **1/2

Decent pacing, no [as far as I can tell] Liberal Propaganda [If there is; it doesn't stick-out like a sore thumb compared to the hypocritical-oppressor, i.e. Diz-nee.], sadly no raunchy jokes for us adults-that the kids wouldn't catch, but one could say that's what make the difference from a "family film" vs. a "kids film". Humor is mostly within the story [i.e. no or very little pop culture references] with exception to a few music cues, but its well known that the lead star has no self-control when it comes to this and was probably written into his contract. Therefore expected. The only real hideous moments are the rooster(s) joke(s) where the voice work was just lacking and felt unmotivated. The best one could put it [pun ironically intended] would have been too cocky up the accent. Otherwise alright movie with an action packed ending surely to awake those who may have fallen asleep during.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 28 Jun 2021 18:17

The last time I was in a theatre to watch a movie was January 5, 2020 :(
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 08 Aug 2021 15:06

First time in theatres since Jan 2020, I saw two films this week:

Black Widow - 8/10 excellent addition to the MCU series of films, decent story with excellent action.

The Suicide Squad - 9/10 James Gunn was exactly what this franchise needed, easily the best DCEU film they've ever made, it's a non-stop thrill ride with immense amounts of fun and action. I'll be watching this again and definitely will pick up the 4K release when it comes out.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 09 Aug 2021 07:49

The Suicide Squad
*** out of a possible 5

More enjoyable than the other film without any doubt. However, Hollywood, continues to fail and make a real R-rated (for adults) film. You'll mostly get your f-words tossed around, three [1 male, 2 female(s)] very (one so far that your not going to even notices it, unless in a theatre) brief pieces, and adequate CGI violence [understand, that violence which appears "real" is for mature audiences, were as for "fake" unrealistic-CGI-ish is consider in most part {excluding dated works} for "family-kids-teen"]. If we had a PG-15 rating, this, as well as most other films released these days under the flag of "Rated-R" would be bestowed such an honor. However, I shall digress... for now [to surly be continued yet-again in the not to distant future, or so I predict]. I look forward to seeing [hopefully] the next installment and hope Warner Brothers, doesn't shot themselves in the foot when the time comes. We already know that Warner Brothers, is going to be taking a cannon ball size round, that is surly going to self-amputate, when "The Batman" is released based on all the know info so far released. Anyhoo, this is one of the few films out there today that does come off as "cinematic" as oppose to feeling like a Made-for-TV/Straight-to-Blu-ray release. And yes for those wondering; there is an after credits scene.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Matthew_B_Harrah » 16 Aug 2021 07:16

Free Guy
** out of a possible 5

Not as bad as expected, but not by much. However, it’s Diz-nay, so we know it’s naught but token-characters, bad one-liners, and mostly poor acting choices with [mostly] horrendous music. It’s basically “Ready Player One” meets “The Lego Movie”. One of the good surprises here though was the story’s message of pro-individualism (individualist). One would think with Dis-nee, trying to go balls-deep with the CCP, they’d continue to push collectivism (collectivist). Word has made it out that a “Free Guy 2” is already in the works. Once you’ve seen the pathetic ending for the first, it should be obvious to anyone what the sequel will entangle when it comes. Though I have no doubt that if it weren’t for the China-Virus, this movie would have bombed at the box office. So, best of luck, prove me wrong, “Free Guy 2”, but unless we are still being oppressed because of another virus or whatever. My prospects are set on low.
Matthew_B_Harrah
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 04 Sep 2021 22:31

Free Guy - I really enjoyed it, a fun check your brain at the door action comedy. It's not going to be a classic but it's a decent waste of time, 6.5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion