In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Noor_Razzak » 22 Feb 2018 16:27

Annihilation - I'm a big fan of Alex Garland, Ex Machina was a masterpiece and I was super excited to see his follow up. Annihilation is a splendid sci-fi film with deep and thought-provoking themes. The film's pacing is a bit slow but the world building that Garland has done does more than enough to keep viewers engaged. There's little explanation as to what is going on, which might annoy some viewers but it keeps the audience in the same place as the characters, constantly exploring and trying to figure out what this cataclysmic event is and what it means. It begs repeated viewing, 9/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 25 Feb 2018 05:25

The Black Panther - It's been out a week so far and I avoided seeing it early because of the crowds, almost every screening was sold out, managed to get into a screening tonight and got to see what all the fuss was about. Marvel delivered once again with an epic superhero film. The world created is immense and incredible, the story was engaging, and finally Marvel has a villain that's both terrifying and sympathetic. Easily one of the best films in the MCU and I can't wait to see it again, 9/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 02 Mar 2018 02:08

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - I had some free time last night with nothing to do I decided to see something, the local theatre that I go to didn't really have anything playing that I wanted to see or had already seen... except for an evening screening of Jumanji. I had not seen it and didn't really care enough to get excited. I had heard it did well at the box office and that it had great reviews and word of mouth. So we went anyway. I honestly didn't have any expectations, and I loved it! The film takes a while to get going and it's too long, running at least 20-30 minutes longer than it should... but, it was a hell of a fun time. The characters where funny, their chemistry was spot on, and the sheer level of enjoyment had by them all transferred well on the screen. Jack Black killed it, he was easily the funniest character but to be honest they all had their moment and are genuinely funny. It was action packed, hilarious, and just plain fun. If you haven't seen it and its still playing in theatres then I'd recommend it! 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 29 Mar 2018 21:30

Ready Player One 3D - Saw this at a special event preview screening on Wednesday. Very nice but I must say I liked the journey/adventure more than the ending. Overall 8/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 08 Apr 2018 02:46

Ready Player One - I've never read the book, and this film has some divisive reactions. I can say that not having read the book was probably for the best in this case, as I'd probably be much more critical of the film. It's a monumental effort to fit in all the references and I think Spielberg did a competent job... but that's about it, the film is competent. My primary issue is that there was hardly any character development, I didn't really feel like the risks where high enough to really care on whether Parzival wins, and there where some other minor issues. On the flip side the film was entertaining, the action/quest sequences where pretty awesome, so from a check your brain/popcorn flick it was decent enough. 6.5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 11 Apr 2018 17:40

A Quiet Place - Nice sci-fi horror with a very slow start 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 19 Apr 2018 13:14

A few weeks ago went to see Ready Player One in 3D which was a little thin plot wise but was visually stunning and I really enjoyed it. 4/5

Just back from Rampage - unfortunately my local cinema are only showing this in 2D. It's a fairly mediocre popcorn movie slightly elevated by The Rock's screen presence. 3/5
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 21 Apr 2018 23:53

Blockers - It was good. Hoped for something ... more 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 30 Apr 2018 00:06

Avengers Infinity War - The biggest movie event of the year!!! I saw this today in IMAX 3D and boy was it a roller-coaster of laughs, action, and emotion. It has it all people, the hype is real and the 10 year wait for this event was worth it, the MCU will never be the same again. I loved every minute of it and can't wait to see it again and can't wait for the next chapter. 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 May 2018 20:53

Super Troopers 2 - If you liked the first one you probably will like the second one. Well I liked it 8/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 08 May 2018 19:21

Rampage 3D - Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised 7/10 BTW this was unexpectedly bloody for a PG-13.

Avengers: Infinity War - Very good, but I don't know what but felt something was missing 9/10

Tully - Opposite to Rampage I had high hopes for this one but the twist ruined it for me and so this was a let down 6/10

I Feel Pretty - f*** the snowflakes this was funny 8/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 14 May 2018 18:55

Avengers: Infinity War - Excellent. Brought together all the movies nicely, and setting up for something big. Just gutted it took me so long to see this I only had the option of 2D.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 20 May 2018 23:34

Deadpool 2: I really liked the first film, I felt like Ryan Reynolds, Tim Miller, and crew really nailed it. The mix of action and outrageous comedy hit the spot and made you forget about Reynolds' terrible first outing as Wade Wilson in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The first film made a ton of money and garnered lots of fans, so a sequel was inevitable. Deadpool 2 is just as much fun if not more than the first, I was laughing throughout, the new X-Force line-up is great, the action is turned up a notch, Cable is excellent, overall it was a good time. There are some flaws, mostly pacing related but I can forgive those. 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 22 May 2018 14:56

Deadpool 2 - Bloody fun! 9/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 23 May 2018 00:49

Ain_Uussaar wrote:Deadpool 2 - Bloody fun! 9/10

Yep. Really enjoyed this. The humour was still perfect and a nice change from the other comic book movies. Deadpool breaking the fourth wall works so well.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 25 May 2018 21:02

Solo: A Star Wars Story 3D - It's a heist movie in Star Wars universe. Visually very nice. Not sure about the lead actor. 8/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 10 Jul 2018 03:23

Saw two movies this past week.

Ocean's 8 - I really like the Ocean's movies, this was another entry into the entertaining con/heist series, the all lady cast was excellent, they all played well off each other and I'd watch another if they make it. 8/10.

Ant-Man and the Wasp - Marvel are on quite the run, it was nice and refreshing to have a lighter movie than Infinity War. The action and comedy was on form but I felt the first was much funnier. Overall yet another enjoyable entry. 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 30 Jul 2018 17:43

Was on vacation the last two weeks and had time to see two movies while I was away.

Incredibles 2 - Not nearly as enjoyable as the first installment, this sequel was ok. I found the story to be a little weak and took too long to get into the action and fun. I felt like the first half was a bit of a chore to get through. 6/10.

Mission Impossible: Fallout - Everything they've said about this film is true, Tom Cruise takes it up yet another level in an exciting, action-packed, stunt-driven extravaganza. This franchise just keeps getting bigger and better and this sixth installment is no exception, if they can keep up the quality then I'm down for many more sequels. This has become one of my favorite movies of the summer and I'm excited to see it again while it's still in theatres. 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 02 Aug 2018 16:09

American Animals - Went to see this with a friend on a whim, never heard of the film before and sometimes that's one of the best ways to enter a movie. The film is based on a true story about four college students who planned and executed a heist to steal some rare books from a University library. What ensues is a comedy of errors. Mixed with documentary interviews and acted segments recreating what the four remembered going down, this was one of the most pleasurable theatrical experiences I've had this year. It's a terrific story, peppered with humour, excellent performances from a young cast, and slickly directed, shot, and edited. There was nothing not to like about American Animals and I urge people to check it out. Simply terrific 10/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 28 Aug 2018 21:15

The Meg 3D - Like Rampage this too was surprisingly fun. 7/10
The Happytime Murders - I liked this dirty puppet comedy. 8/10
Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Yep this series keeps getting bigger and better. 9/10
The Equalizer 2 - Surprisingly slow at times for a Antoine Fuqua film. 7/10
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion