What arrived for you today?

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

What arrived for you today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Sep 2014 11:39

I'm trying to cut down a lot now as my to watch pile is literally 3000+ (250 odd Blu-rays). But I can't turn down a bargain sometimes.

Today's arrivals from CeX:
Mongol (UK Blu) £1.50
Space Buddies (UK Blu) £1.50
The Match (UK DVD) £0.25
252: Sign of Life (UK DVD) £0.50
Mrs Henderson Presents (UK DVD) £0.10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Re: What arrived for you today?

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 09:28

Today's arrivals:

Tokarev (UK Blu) £0.00
Brokebank Mountain (UK Blu) £2.00
Extras: The Special (UK Blu) £1.00
Dance Flick (UK DVD) £0.25
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With (UK DVD) £0.25
Emanuelle 5 (UK DVD) £0.05
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 10:50

Samuel_Scott wrote:I'm trying to cut down a lot now as my to watch pile is literally 3000+ (250 odd Blu-rays). But I can't turn down a bargain sometimes.

I have the same problem. The unwatched piles are growing fast. When you had the bluray competitions those helped a lot to get trough the unwatched piles much faster. Now theres no more competitions and the piles are rising. During summer for 2 and half months I didn`t buy a single disc, but now it has gone out of hands again. Must take another hiatus till Christmas I think.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 11:01

Sculder wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:I'm trying to cut down a lot now as my to watch pile is literally 3000+ (250 odd Blu-rays). But I can't turn down a bargain sometimes.

I have the same problem. The unwatched piles are growing fast. When you had the bluray competitions those helped a lot to get trough the unwatched piles much faster. Now theres no more competitions and the piles are rising. During summer for 2 and half months I didn`t buy a single disc, but now it has gone out of hands again. Must take another hiatus till Christmas I think.

One of my biggest problems is how cheap you can now get second hand DVDs. Would I buy half the stuff I have at retail? Hell no. But at £0.25 I'm happy to take blind leaps and if it was crap, it has cost me next to nothing, and I at least have the specs for the site out of it. I mean, today I received Emmanuelle 5 as part of a CeX order, and it cost me a whopping £0.05 (they charge £2.50 per order postage, so my orders are usually about £20, then they post from whichever of their 100+ shops have those used items in stock). £0.05 for crying out loud. It costs me £0.06 to store and catalogue each release when I take into account the cost of the binders, plastic wallets for the covers, and stickers for cataloguing. :lol:
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 12:28

Yep the prices for second hand DVDs are really good but I try to go bluray only. Tho I have given in for couple of £0.20 DVDs. Last one being "Tears Of The Sun - Directors Cut" as on Bluray theres only theatrical cut.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 12:56

Sculder wrote:Yep the prices for second hand DVDs are really good but I try to go bluray only. Tho I have given in for couple of £0.20 DVDs. Last one being "Tears Of The Sun - Directors Cut" as on Bluray theres only theatrical cut.

Unfortunately, a lot of the films are still not available on Blu-ray (hell, there are a ton still not out on DVD!), but I do go BR when possible. However, if it is a blind buy, I will but for a few pennies on DVD, and if I enjoy it, then maybe spend the money on the Blu. It is a cheap way to test the waters on a movie too.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 16 Sep 2014 13:35

I have never bought used DVDs online as it's too risky.

Sometimes, even those third-party sellers on Amazon who claim that their DVDs are new are not being honest to the buyers :(

I remember having bought a supposedly new DVD of HEROES OF TELEMARK from one such seller only to find that a considerable area of the disc surface has got some whitish stain on it. Luckily it was dirt cheap.
Last edited by Davy_Lee on 16 Sep 2014 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

“Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it.”
Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 14:09

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Sculder wrote:Yep the prices for second hand DVDs are really good but I try to go bluray only. Tho I have given in for couple of £0.20 DVDs. Last one being "Tears Of The Sun - Directors Cut" as on Bluray theres only theatrical cut.

Unfortunately, a lot of the films are still not available on Blu-ray (hell, there are a ton still not out on DVD!), but I do go BR when possible. However, if it is a blind buy, I will but for a few pennies on DVD, and if I enjoy it, then maybe spend the money on the Blu. It is a cheap way to test the waters on a movie too.

Yeah I have a long list of films Im waiting for.
I tend to test the waters with not so legal ways or trough 30+ movie channels on satellite tv.
Last edited by Ain_Uussaar on 16 Sep 2014 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 14:15

Davy_Lee wrote:I have never bought used DVDs online as it's too risky.

Sometimes, even those third-party sellers on Amazon who claim that their DVDs are new are not being honest to the buyers :(

I remember having bought a supposedly new DVD of HEROES OF TELEMARK from one such seller only to find that a considerable surface of the disc has got some whitish stain on it. Luckily it was dirt cheap.

I think about 80-90% of my purchases for last few years have been second hand. The % of the orders where theres been problems is very low and I have always got new item, money back or reduced price if problems arise.
I buy items that have condition as "Very good", "as new" or "new".
Did you contact the seller ?
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 14:18

Sculder wrote:

I remember having bought a supposedly new DVD of HEROES OF TELEMARK from one such seller only to find that a considerable surface of the disc has got some whitish stain on it. Luckily it was dirt cheap.

I think about 80-90% of my purchases for last few years have been second hand. The % of the orders where theres been problems is very low and I have always got new item, money back or reduced price if problems arise.

I buy a lot used. Zoverstocks I have found 99% of items to be spot on.

I use CeX for really cheap things. Often light surface scratches but nothing too bad, and never had problems playing them. For the price I've paid, doesn't bother me. If it is a favourite film, or of the prices are comparable, I buy new.

Whenever I have had a used disc in an unsatisfactory condition, I haven't had an issue getting a replacement or refund from anyone. I just stick to the same sellers I have come to trust.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Davy_Lee » 16 Sep 2014 14:47

Sculder wrote:I think about 80-90% of my purchases for last few years have been second hand. The % of the orders where theres been problems is very low and I have always got new item, money back or reduced price if problems arise.

No. I didn't want any hassle considering the price. I ended up buying another new copy from another seller, and the second time arrived as expected - brand spanking new.
*N=New to collection :-D, U=Upgrade :), DD=Double Dipping :wink:, R=Replacement for damaged disc :-?

Davy_Lee

Postby Davy_Lee » 16 Sep 2014 14:50

Samuel_Scott wrote:

Agree. Zoverstocks rarely disappoint and they carry a huge number of DVDs.

Davy_Lee

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 14:54

Samuel_Scott wrote:
Sculder wrote:

I use CeX for really cheap things. Often light surface scratches but nothing too bad, and never had problems playing them. For the price I've paid, doesn't bother me. If it is a favourite film, or of the prices are comparable, I buy new.

Whenever I have had a used disc in an unsatisfactory condition, I haven't had an issue getting a replacement or refund from anyone. I just stick to the same sellers I have come to trust.

I also tend to stick to same sellers, but I also have a huge limiter to my buying - the seller needs to be willing to send international packages. For UK discs Zoverstocks tends to be the best choice, for US the selection is wider.
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 16 Sep 2014 15:02

Davy_Lee wrote:
Sculder wrote:I think about 80-90% of my purchases for last few years have been second hand. The % of the orders where theres been problems is very low and I have always got new item, money back or reduced price if problems arise.

No. I didn't want any hassle considering the price. I ended up buying another new copy from another seller, and the second time arrived as expected - brand spanking new.

I was like that before, but now I`m older and grumpier :lol: and tend to fight for my right to get what I paid for more :-D Did you give them a 1* rating at least ?
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Markus_Lang » 16 Sep 2014 19:13

Today I received from CDON.com:

• Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D (€5.56)
  • Resident Evil: Retribution 3D + 2D (€4.76)
  • Bolt 3D + 2D (€11.96)
  • Varg Veum: Din til døden (€3.97)
  • Wallander: Afrikanen + Den svaga punkten (€3.96)
  • Wallander: Mastermind + Fotografen (€3.96)

All Scandinavian Blu-ray editions.

On the top of that, I borrowed some 10 DVDs and BDs from two libraries in Helsinki today, to be added to the database when time permits. (Due to a plumbing renovation, I have to live elsewhere for some time (at my dad’s place), and cannot access my own discs or watch movies at a home theatre.)
Markus_Lang

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 19:17

The Resident Evil films might be a little crap (I like them for the fun they are though, and own multiple releases of them all), but the 3D in both is very very good, especially in Retribution.

Let me know how the 3D is on Bolt!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Markus_Lang » 16 Sep 2014 19:31

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Resident Evil films might be a little crap (I like them for the fun they are though, and own multiple releases of them all), but the 3D in both is very very good, especially in Retribution.
Yes, I understand they are photographed with two cameras. I don’t appreciate much single-camera 2D→3D conversions — they feel as enticing as Blu-rays which actually are upscaled from SD!

Let me know how the 3D is on Bolt!
Will do that, within a couple of months. (My dad does have a 3D TV but it’s an old LG model with low image quality.)
Markus_Lang

Postby Samuel_Scott » 16 Sep 2014 19:34

Markus_Lang wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:The Resident Evil films might be a little crap (I like them for the fun they are though, and own multiple releases of them all), but the 3D in both is very very good, especially in Retribution.
Yes, I understand they are photographed with two cameras. I don’t appreciate much single-camera 2D→3D conversions — they feel as enticing as Blu-rays which actually are upscaled from SD!

Yes. I have Anderson's Three Musketeers 3D in the pile too, which is filmed the same way. I have only ever seen it in 2D.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Sep 2014 13:46

More of my recent CeX order filtering through:
The Drummond Will (UK Blu) £1.50
If Only (UK DVD) £0.10
Evil Woman (UK DVD) £0.10
54 (UK DVD) £0.25
Samuel_Scott

Postby Alister_Manson » 17 Sep 2014 21:02

Samuel_Scott wrote:I'm trying to cut down a lot now as my to watch pile is literally 3000+ (250 odd Blu-rays)

:o Good luck with getting through all that, I thought my 30-odd unwatched movies was getting a bit out of control.

Anyway, I just got the UK Blu Ray of Memento. Haven't seen it since it was first released on DVD all those years ago, I rented it as a new release and was unable to find a retail copy in NZ. Should be an interesting re-watch :)
Alister_Manson

Next

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion