Nosferatu (1922) on DVD and Blu-ray

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Nosferatu (1922) on DVD and Blu-ray

Postby Brent_Reid » 21 Nov 2015 16:29

This is easily the most re-released and restored silent film of all. It also proliferates on more public domain DVDs than any other. Every single release falls into one of two categories though: restored and unrestored/public domain.
I've published a comprehensive new article which for the first time ever details the film's history, different versions and every single worldwide release of the restored versions:
http://www.brentonfilm.com/articles/nosferatu-the-ultimate-blu-ray-and-dvd-guide

It could be used to clear up a lot of vague or incorrect info on the current DVD and BD comparison pages. What's more, as it's impossible to list every PD release I'd suggest dividing the DVD list into two categories or at least noting which ones are PD.

DVD comparison correction: the Australian Force Video DVD’s stated running time of 90 minutes doesn’t tally with what it says here:
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Nosferatu.asp
Additionally, conversations with restorer David Shepard lead me to believe that this is the same version as his first restoration, included on the 1998 US Image DVD. Force licensed their transfers from Eureka, who at that time were still using the shorter Shepard version. It also has the Timothy Howard organ score only featured on several other Shepard version DVDs, as you see from my article.

As an aside, in a previous thread (http://www.dvdcompare.net/forums/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31538) some known releases were rejected for having too scant details. Fair enough: it’s great that things have tightened up here in that regard. But surely it would be useful to sometimes list releases with what details are available and clearly flag them with something like “Specs unconfirmed – please let us know if you can provide us with more details.”

It's especially a shame that the Spanish Divisa DVDs and BD have been omitted altogether when, along with the Eurekas, they're the best releases available. If my Spanish was a bit better, I'd have bought them myself!
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 07 Dec 2015 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Re: Nosferatu (1922) on DVD and Blu-ray

Postby Samuel_Scott » 21 Nov 2015 17:03

Brent_Reid wrote:This is easily the most re-released and restored silent film of all. It also proliferates on more public domain DVDs than any other. Every single release falls into one of two categories though: restored and unrestored/public domain.
I've published a comprehensive new article which for the first time ever details the film's history, different versions and every single worldwide release of the restored versions:
http://www.brentonfilm.com/articles/nosferatu-the-ultimate-blu-ray-and-dvd-guide

Hi Brent, excellent work as always. I'll definitely link up to it in both comparisons at some point in the next couple of days!

DVD comparison correction: the Australian Force Video DVD’s stated running time of 90 minutes doesn’t tally with what it says here:
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Nosferatu.asp
Additionally, conversations with restorer David Shepard lead me to believe that this is the same version as his first restoration, included on the 1999 US Image DVD. Force licensed their transfers from Eureka, who at that time were still using the shorter Shepard version. It also has the Timothy Howard organ score only featured on several other Shepard version DVDs, as you see from my article.

I'll also make the relevant updates here too.

As an aside, in a previous thread (http://www.dvdcompare.net/forums/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31538) some known releases were rejected for having too scant details. Fair enough: it’s great that things have tightened up here in that regard. But surely it would be useful to sometimes list releases with what details are available and clearly flag them with something like “Specs unconfirmed – please let us know if you can provide us with more details.”

Honestly and bluntly, not a chance. We've worked out our processes over the years to make sure we limit possible mistakes and to make sure we can point to sources in every opportunity. Whilst it would of course be useful for those releases to be listed, adding TBC specs gave us a lot of grief 10-15 years ago and we have slowly squirrelled out that old data from the site. It also results in people wanting specs to be added from e-tailers, press releases and covers using TBC as a 'get out clause' for any confusion caused post-comparison.

It's especially a shame that the Spanish Divisa DVDs and BD have been omitted altogether when, along with the Eurekas, they're the best releases available. If my Spanish was a bit better, I'd have bought them myself!

Whilst this is a shame, we have found that usually if a better release is out there for the ones we have listed, people are generally (though of course not all the time) quick to alert us and submit the specs from their discs. I have the MoC release but not got round to adding it. I'll add it to my list of things to do, but I am away from home until the 11th December so it won't be for a few weeks at least.

Cheers Brent!
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Brent_Reid » 22 Nov 2015 21:17

Cheers Sam, I appreciate the reply. Here are some more observations:

The Films sans Frontières DVD is a pirate.

Here's another review confirming the runtime of the Oz force DVD:

Although you don't usually comment about the state of individual releases, the Kino BD is probably the worst HD silent film release ever: they really messed it up. There are more details in my review of it, at the bottom of the article. Could a note be added to its listing, alongside the one about the zooming?

It might be worth adding a note about the different versions at the bottom of the page, along the lines of:

As of 2015 there are two partially restored and three fully restored versions of this film and all are available on home video. The bulk of DVDs contain poor quality B&W public domain prints, all derived from a 1940s American one.
For full details of Nosferatu's history, different versions, and every restored Blu-ray and DVD available worldwide, check out:
Nosferatu: The Ultimate Blu-ray and DVD Guide

Good point, re not adding releases with unconfirmed specs. I figured there'd be a good reason you don't but thought I'd mention it anyway! :wink:
Having said that, maybe it's possible to at least add a note at the bottom of each comparison page, saying "There is a Spanish release by Divisa that, though specs are unconfirmed, appears to be the equal of the UK Masters of Cinema issue(s)."
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 07 Dec 2015 23:32, edited 4 times in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby baggish » 23 Nov 2015 23:12

Hi Brent, impressive research, great stuff!

I don't really have a lot to add, except maybe the following points:

- I've only seen the 2001 Eureka and 2002 BFI DVD releases. For what it's worth, the tinting is much heavier in the BFI (almost too heavy, I would say), and in some places the tinting differs. For example, the view of the mountains at about 16-17 mins is sepia in the Eureka and blue in the BFI. On cutting to Hutter waking in the morning, the Eureka is still sepia but the BFI changes to magenta.

- Regarding your note [4] towards the end. The 2001 Eureka was reviewed in Sight & Sound April 2001, prompting a letter from Enno Patalas published in the May 2001 issue where he says that it is the David Shepard version. According to the comparison, the Eureka is a bit longer than the 2001 David Shepard/Image though. I wonder if this difference in duration is one reason why they re-recorded the commentary (that's pure speculation on my part, not supported by any evidence at all). It did strike me that this uncredited commentary continued the spirit of the original name change from Dracula to Nosferatu :)

- You didn't mention the Hungarian release in the coffin case, but it does seem to be almost impossible to find concrete details about that one.

Cheers!
baggish

Postby Brent_Reid » 24 Nov 2015 01:21

Thank you very much, baggish.

I discuss the tinting variations at various points in my article and thought strongly about linking to the 1995/2006 restorations DVD breakdown. Ultimately I decided against it, as while it's undoubtedly a useful piece it also contains a lot of incorrect info. I'm trying to curb and set right misinformation, not perpetuate it!

Patalas is partially correct in his assertion about the 2001 Eureka DVD: it's the original, full length version of the second Image DVD's transfer.

As for the Hungarian DVD, I checked it out when compiling my lists of releases but as you say, details are very sketchy. I did manage to find out for sure that it was released in Jan 2009, but that's about it. The numerous so-called 'reviews' I read were all very vague and inconsistent as to which version it is. Basically nothing better than juvenile fan boy waffling. For instance, check out the contradictions in this one.

Thanks too for your input.
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 07 Dec 2015 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 24 Nov 2015 06:06

screencaps and BDinfo of the Spanish Divisa Blu-ray, though no detailed specs for the bonus features.

When I last added a few additions to the DVD listing, I went though almost every listing trying to correct or add any missing info I could, but it was crowded with quite a few releases that were added maybe 10 years ago or so with very little info on runtimes or specs. (Somehow I missed that Australia Force video runtime)
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Nov 2015 14:00

Do you want to take on the relevant updates then James? My knowledge of Nosferatu is embarrassingly minimal.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 24 Nov 2015 14:47

I guess I can do it, I already updated the Force Video DVD runtime, I will need a day or two to read over the article and get some condensed notes. I've only bought "Nosferatu" twice...
I have two movie reviews still being written, working every day this week and preparing for a movie screening (the final at my workplace) for the weekend, but I can squeeze the time in somewhere.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 24 Nov 2015 19:33

Ha. I'm the same. No rush and I can do it if I find the time before you.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Brent_Reid » 25 Nov 2015 07:42

Thanks for your interest, guys. A few more things:

Pay particular attention to the new info that's come to light, re the second Image DVD and the Eureka DVD. Most of it is in the Restorations section and the footnotes.

The Oz Force DVD, being the shorter 1991 David Shepard version, does not have the 5-act structure.

This note, on both the DVD and BD pages, should be amended:
"Note that the 2006 restoration has one shot that is upside down, and has not been corrected on any of the DVD editions."
To: "...any home video release." [or similar]

I strongly recommend specifying which version every release is, both in its listing and at the bottom of the page. They all fit into one of these categories:

Public domain version (poor quality, sometimes edited and/or sped-up, copy of MoMA's print)
1991 Shepard version (based on MoMA’s print)
1987 Patalas restoration (Eureka DVD; 2000 Shepard version [second Image DVD] is an edit of it)
1995 Patalas restoration
2006 Berriatúa restoration
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 15 Dec 2015 23:01

Sorry about the delay, but I will get to this the day after tomorrow or so.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 17 Dec 2015 04:46

OK, updated DVD and Blu pages with relevant info and linked to your page on Brenton Film.

Brent_Reid wrote:The Films sans Frontières DVD is a pirate.

Granted they are a pirate company, what are the legalities since this is a PD title? Possibly if they are using a non-PD source unlicensed. The Films sans Frontieres uses the 1995 restoration (as according to the runtime).

So, what should be done? Delete from database?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 17 Dec 2015 09:37

Well done James – I think they look far less complicated now!

I’d say remove the FSF but put a note at the bottom, something like:
There is a French DVD from Films sans Frontières and Italian DVDs from Ermitage Cinema and Studio 4K but they’re all pirates. There are also official French single and 2-DVD issues of the 2006 restoration from mk2, but we don’t have full specs. As of 2015 there are no official Italian DVDs.

Likewise for the BD page:
There are Italian BDs from Ermitage Cinema and Studio 4K but they’re pirates.

Feel free to link either note to my pirates and bootlegs article. Incidentally, Galeshka Moravioff, the guy behind Films sans Frontières, is one of the biggest film pirates in the world today. My article’s been shared a lot and numerous copyright holders, distributors and film and TV studios have written to me, telling of all the money and court time he’s costing them. I’ll add some of this new info to the article soon.

The Type O Negative songs soundtracking the US Arrow Entertainment DVD were used without permission and no royalties were ever paid, making it a pirate. Several friends and relatives of the band have posted about this online and despite the DVD’s popularity, the band understandably refused to publicly acknowledge or promote it.

I haven’t seen the Czech DVD but looking at those specs, compared to all other authorised 2006 restoration releases, I seriously doubt it’s legit. I’d ask the person who submitted it for a sleeve and disc scan or at least to tell you if the F. W. Murnau Stiftung are credited anywhere.

On the DVD page the first Kino DVD is not in correct alphabetical order! Under the Kino Ultimate Edition DVD’s listing you could note that their latest 2-DVD set, from 2013, mirrors the 2013 BD and also has all of its problems.

The Dutch Living Colour Entertainment DVD has a 1.0 score mistakenly listed; it should be 2.0.

Re the note for the first Eureka DVD:
Older copies of this set only had a B&W version on the second disc - no colour tinting present.
This is likely incorrect; see my article’s footnotes on the DVD.
The other note should read:
The audio commentary is an updated and expanded version of the Lokke Heiss commentary from the Image DVD, but read by an uncredited actor.
This is stated by Lokke himself, again in my Eureka DVD footnotes.

It’s worth noting that the Australian Director's Suite release has an exclusive commentary track.

I'd recommend swapping the versions list on both pages for this:

There are multiple versions of the film available:
- Public domain version - poor quality copy of MoMA's incomplete B&W print. It's sometimes edited and/or sped-up, running anywhere between 60-84 minutes. Unless noted as being from a restored source, all DVDs use this version.
- 1987 Enno Patalas restoration
- 1991 David Shepard version - based on MoMA's print
- 1995 Enno Patalas restoration
- 2000 David Shepard version - edit of the 1987 restoration
- 2006 Luciano Berriatúa restoration

On a related note, in the Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) BD comparison, the US Shout! disc is recommended as the best English-friendly version but it has a shocking amount of DNR, right up there with Predator and Patton. The BFI BD is miles better.
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 17 Dec 2015 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Dec 2015 10:08

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:OK, updated DVD and Blu pages with relevant info and linked to your page on Brenton Film.

Brent_Reid wrote:The Films sans Frontières DVD is a pirate.

Granted they are a pirate company, what are the legalities since this is a PD title? Possibly if they are using a non-PD source unlicensed. The Films sans Frontieres uses the 1995 restoration (as according to the runtime).

So, what should be done? Delete from database?

Keep it as it is a public domain title and we don't want to open the can of worms of finding the sources of prints of all PD titles as the majority will be from less than legit sources :wink:

If it was an obvious film rights issue, then yes, delete away.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Brent_Reid » 17 Dec 2015 10:26

Fair enough Sam, but the fact remains: Moravioff has never issued a legit disc in his life and this particular one's transfer is stolen from somewhere. When/if I find out where for certain, I'll let you know!
Last edited by Brent_Reid on 17 Dec 2015 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 17 Dec 2015 12:47

Brent_Reid wrote:I haven’t seen the Czech DVD but looking at those specs, compared to all other authorised 2006 restoration releases, I seriously doubt it’s legit. I’d ask the person who submitted it for a sleeve and disc scan or at least to tell you if the F. W. Murnau Stiftung are credited anywhere.

http://www.meine-filmsammlung.de/frame_ ... &uid=15293
Zooming in does say "FW Murnau Stiftung"

The Type O Negative songs soundtracking the US Arrow Entertainment DVD were used without permission and no royalties were ever paid, making it a pirate. Several friends and relatives of the band have posted about this online and despite the DVD’s popularity, the band understandably refused to publicly acknowledge or promote it.

So this and the Film Sans Frontiers, to keep the listings but note about their bootleg status, or delete both and note about their bootleg existence?

Under the Kino Ultimate Edition DVD’s listing you could note that their latest 2-DVD set, from 2013, mirrors the 2013 BD and also has all of its problems.

Can't find concrete info on specs for the 2013 DVD edition, Silent Era has specs up, but it's a copypaste job of the BD, and they say "It is unknown at this time whether the HD transfer for this edition has been updated from the HD transfer utilized for Kino’s 2007 DVD edition", meaning they dont have a disc at hand. All signs point that it must be the same as the BD, and have all its faults, but do you happen to have a disc on hand or firsthand knowledge the Kino DVD has the same problems as the BD?

The Dutch Living Colour Entertainment DVD has a 1.0 score mistakenly listed; it should be 2.0.

Re the note for the first Eureka DVD:
• Older copies of this set only had a B&W version on the second disc - no colour tinting present.
This is likely incorrect; see my article’s footnotes on the DVD.
The other note should read:
• The audio commentary is an updated and expanded version of the Lokke Heiss commentary from the Image DVD, but read by an uncredited actor.
This is stated by Lokke himself, again in my Eureka DVD footnotes.

It’s worth noting that the Australian Director's Suite release has an exclusive commentary track.

I'd recommend swapping the versions list on both pages for this:

There are multiple versions of the film available:
- Public domain version - poor quality copy of MoMA's incomplete B&W print. It's sometimes edited and/or sped-up, running anywhere between 60-84 minutes. Unless noted as being from a restored source, all DVDs use this version.
- 1987 Enno Patalas restoration
- 1991 David Shepard version - based on MoMA's print
- 1995 Enno Patalas restoration
- 2000 David Shepard version - edit of the 1987 restoration
- 2006 Luciano Berriatúa restoration

Done.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 17 Dec 2015 22:49

Well done again, James.

I've zoomed in and can't see at all where the Czech DVD says "FW Murnau Stiftung" - are you sure?

The Type O Negative DVD is probably the single most popular/highest-selling PD Nosferatu DVD of them all, but it is unequivocally a bootleg and should not be in the listing. On account of its popularity though, the explanatory note is appropriate.

Personally I'd remove the FSF altogether and again, leave the explanatory note. Sam, being as even-handed as ever, does make a fair case for leaving it in for now, until I can positively ID its source. Up to you.

I don't have a copy of the latest Kino DVD to hand (I wouldn't spend money on that piece of sh*t!) but am going by several chat forums. A few posters have bought the DVD then found out about the BD's issues. This has prompted them to say things along the lines of "I knew there was something off about it and having now checked it against Kino's earlier DVD, can see just how bad the problem is."
I know it's fatal to assume, but it's almost unthinkable that the latest DVD, with contents identical to the BD, as reported in various reviews, isn't struck from the exact same master. In the absence of an actual disc, again it's up to you. Don't forget to move the current two Kinos next to each other though!
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 18 Dec 2015 01:58

Brent_Reid wrote:I've zoomed in and can't see at all where the Czech DVD says "FW Murnau Stiftung" - are you sure?

Enhancing and squinting, I saw "Murnau", but I couldn't find a better scan of the cover.

I don't have a copy of the latest Kino DVD to hand (I wouldn't spend money on that piece of sh*t!) but am going by several chat forums. A few posters have bought the DVD then found out about the BD's issues. This has prompted them to say things along the lines of "I knew there was something off about it and having now checked it against Kino's earlier DVD, can see just how bad the problem is.

Any links to those forums?

Don't forget to move the current two Kinos next to each other though!

The order of the entries are automatic. And technically it is in alphabetical order. The original Kino with no sub-heading, then "The Masterworks of the German Horror Cinema" is next, "Ultimate Edition" is last.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Brent_Reid » 18 Dec 2015 15:15

F.W. Murnau is simply the name of the director; F.W. Murnau-Stiftung is the foundation that owns the 2006 restoration. I'm certain that's a pirate disc.

Now you're asking. I've read so much stuff concerning those bloody bodged discs lately and without spending ages searching I'd say almost certainly a couple of the following: Nitrateville, Home Theater Forum, possibly Blu-ray.com forums, AVForums and AVSForum...
I know that's not much help but they'd take me ages to find again. I took the notes I needed at the time but obviously didn't anticipate this question, because...

I didn't know whether or not you guys would be that interested in all that I've uncovered, but I'm very glad that you are. I'm also very glad that you take the issue of purging pirates and bootlegs so seriously. Thank you.

Thanks for explaining, re the DVD order!
Brent_Reid

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 18 Dec 2015 15:32

We do like to follow the basic rule of if you dont own the disc, have some proof that the specs are correct from a source loke those forums you mentioned or otherwise. I've searched as well trying to find info on the new kino disc, not that we doubt you.

Question:
Have you thought about asking FWMS about which publishers they have licensed their transfer to? Then we can know for sure if the Czech disc is a boot or not.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Next

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion