Star Trek the Motion Picture 4K UHD Blu-Ray

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Star Trek the Motion Picture 4K UHD Blu-Ray

Postby Bodhi_Sarkar » 23 May 2023 19:34

Hi,

Reference is made to Star Trek: The Motion Picture 4K UHD Blu-Ray:
https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/ ... ?fid=58401

Which concludes:
"The French, German, Spanish and UK "The Director's Edition Complete Adventure" has all three versions of the film with the most extras. Note they include the standard Blu-ray of the theatrical version which has the interactive feature."

Could you please double check your source for the French and German releases please, as I'm sceptical if they contain the illusive "the 1983 Special Longer Version (144:34)" which the UK version has.

For the French release, please take a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmxRYU6DEkc&t=233s
This is an unboxing video (in French). At 2m36s, you can see the back of the box, which reads:
“En exclusivite les deux montages en 4k Ultra-HD la version cinema et la director’s edition.”
Which I believe suggests that only two versions of the film are included (theatrical + director’s edition, it appears to be missing the 1983 Special Longer Version).
Moreover at 3m07, you can see by the quoted runtimes that the 1983 Special Longer Version appears to be missing.

For the German release, please take a look at:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Walter-Koeni ... 89&sr=8-15
Scroll down to the German reviews with images.
The back reads:
“Enthalt mit der director’s edition und der kinofassung zwei schnittfassungen des films in 4k Ultra-HD.”
Which if my secondary school German knowledge is anything to go by translates as:
“Contains two cut versions of the film in 4k Ultra-HD, the director’s edition and the theatrical version.”
Once again, the 1983 Special Longer Version seems to be omitted.
Again if you zoom in on the same image, and note the run times, the 1983 special longer version is nowhere to be seen.

Now the Spanish version seems fine:
https://www.amazon.es/Star-Trek-Pel%C3% ... C86&sr=8-2
You can see from the product images that a 144min version is quoted in Spanish.

The French and German releases are noticeably cheaper and now I know why! Same with the (unreviewed at this site) Scandinavian release:
https://nibblestew.blogspot.com/2023/04 ... ctors.html
I almost bought the Scandinavian release (due to its cheaper cost) when I read online complaints that the 1983 Special Longer Version was missing. I then checked the French and German releases and found evidence of the same.

Eventually I stumped up full cost for the UK version, which I know at least has the 1983 Special Longer Version. This is the copy I now own.

I’m sorry I don’t have the French or German releases to hand to 100% confirm. But the evidence online strongly suggests that both are missing the 1983 Special Longer Version. It may be worth confirming with other owners of the French or German release.
Bodhi_Sarkar

Re: Star Trek the Motion Picture 4K UHD Blu-Ray

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 24 May 2023 00:54

Seems to be packaging mistakes. The youtube clip you posted clearly show they are the same discs with the UK box, along with the ratings logos and numbering.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Bodhi_Sarkar » 26 May 2023 09:58

You are maybe right. I was querying about the source for the German and French release.

For info - this Amazon.de review of the German release (the one with the images) says:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Walter-Koeni ... 89&sr=8-15

Es ist hinreichend bekannt, dass es die Super Long Version (auch als ABC-Cut bekannt) in Deutschland nicht in diese Collector’s Box geschafft hat. Die Begründung von Paramount Deutschland, die überall kursiert, ist ein schlechter Witz. Die deutsche Synchronisation der Langfassung liege nicht vor, heißt es. Vielmehr trifft zu, dass diese wohl in den Archiven nicht gefunden wurde, denn die Langfassung wurde damals, zu VHS-Zeiten, mehr schlecht als recht synchronisiert (neue Szene zum Teil mit neuen Sprechern, weil man den Film nicht komplett neu synchronisieren wollte).

Ich hatte bis zuletzt noch die Hoffnung, die Fassung würde es doch auf eine der deutschen UHD’s schaffen (gerne auch ohne deutschen Ton, aber untertitelt). Das ist leider nicht der Fall. Die Rückseite der deutschen Version gibt Aufschluss: „Enthält mit der Director’s Edition und der Kinofassung zwei Schnittfassungen des Films in 4K Ultra HD.“ Ich habe daraufhin die deutsche Version der Box wieder eingepackt und zurückgesendet. Stattdessen habe ich die UK-Version bestellt. Am Ende war der Preis identisch mit der deutschen Version und siehe da, die Rückseite der Import-Box bestätigt: „Exclusively Featuring All Three Cuts of the Film in 4K Ultra-HD including the Special Longer Version.“

Gleich nach dem Öffnen der UK-Version musste ich staunen. Auf jeder Disc ist ein FSK 12-Logo aufgedruckt. Weitere Erkenntnisse erhielt ich nach dem Einlegen der begehrten Scheiben. Die Disc-Menüs liegen in deutscher Sprache vor, auch bei der Scheibe, die die Kinofassung und die Langfassung enthält (jede Fassung ist per Menü auswählbar). Die Langfassung ist zudem noch komplett deutsch untertitelt. Nach alledem bleibt es ein Rätsel, was sich der deutsche Vertrieb hier gedacht hat. Alles wurde bereits für den deutschen Markt vorproduziert. Dann jedoch einen Rückzieher zu machen, ist ein Schlag ins Gesicht eines jeden Fans.

Zum Inhalt der Box selbst: Die Aufmachung ist Geschmacksache. Es fehlt aus meiner Sicht ein klares Konzept. Für die Bonusdisc hat in der UK-Version der Platz nicht ausgereicht. Diese wurde einfach in einer Papierhülle beigefügt. Die Gimmicks, Aufkleber, Poster, Postkarten usw., wecken durchaus nostalgische Gefühle, sind aber nicht essentiell für den Filmgenuss. Technisch machen die Discs einen guten Eindruck. Ich habe den ersten Star Trek-Kinofilm noch nie in einer derartigen Bild- und Tonqualität genießen können.

Fazit: Die Bezeichnung „The Complete Adventure“ ist in Deutschland schlichtweg ein Etikettenschwindel. Ich kann jedem nur raten, auf die UK-Version, oder einem anderen Import, zurückzugreifen.

Doing a google translate:

It is well known that the Super Long Version (also known as the ABC-Cut) did not make it into this Collector's Box in Germany. Paramount Germany's reasoning, which is circulating everywhere, is a bad joke. The German dubbing of the long version is not available, it is said. Rather, it is true that it was probably not found in the archives, because the long version was dubbed more badly than good back then, in the VHS days (new scene partly with new speakers, because the film didn't want to be completely re-dubbed).

Until the very end I still had hope that the version would make it to one of the German UHDs (also without German sound, but with subtitles). Unfortunately, this is not the case. The back of the German version provides information: "With the Director's Edition and the theatrical version, it contains two cut versions of the film in 4K Ultra HD." I then packed up the German version of the box again and sent it back. I ordered the UK version instead. In the end, the price was identical to the German version and lo and behold, the back of the import box confirms: "Exclusively Featuring All Three Cuts of the Film in 4K Ultra-HD including the Special Longer Version."

As soon as I opened the UK version, I was amazed. An FSK 12 logo is printed on each disc. I received further insights after inserting the coveted discs. The disc menus are in German, including the disc that contains the theatrical version and the long version (each version can be selected via the menu). The long version also has German subtitles. After all, it remains a mystery what the German distributors were thinking here. Everything has already been pre-produced for the German market. But then pulling out is a slap in the face for any fan.

As for the contents of the box itself: the presentation is a matter of taste. From my point of view, a clear concept is missing. There wasn't enough space for the bonus disc in the UK version. This was simply enclosed in a paper sleeve. The gimmicks, stickers, posters, postcards, etc. certainly arouse nostalgic feelings, but are not essential for enjoying the film. Technically, the discs make a good impression. I have never been able to enjoy the first Star Trek movie with such picture and sound quality.

Conclusion: The term "The Complete Adventure" is simply a misnomer in Germany. I can only advise everyone to use the UK version or another import.

I own the UK release by the way. Interestingly it includes the German FSK rating on the disc. But according to the German Amazon reviewer above, so does the German release but they admit to be missing the longer version of the film.

Basically it could be a packaging error as suggested. However, I'm keen to understand if anyone owns the German / French releases to confirm.
Bodhi_Sarkar

Postby Bodhi_Sarkar » 26 May 2023 10:47

Some evidence of the French release missing the longer version:
https://www.amazon.fr/Star-Trek-Collect ... merReviews

Joli coffret 5 disques, 2 UHD (le director's cut + cinéma) 3 blu ray ( idem UHD + 1 BD bonus) je n'ai pas trouvé trace de la version TV 1983 qui pourtant devait être présente il me semble, il faut dire que la communication sur le sujet était plutôt aléatoire, la qualité est au rdv sur les 2 UHD image et son (VO),
les goodies, seul le livre vaut la peine, 14 pages (plutôt léger) couverture souple et non rigide comme aperçu sur les visuel, le reste est dispensable, les disques sont placés dans des encarts cartonnés au sein du digipack et sont difficiles à sortir sans y laisser des traces, pas pratique, un beau digibook aurait été plus adéquat, en conclusion un beau coffret, mais sans la version TV et avec 2 Bd inutiles ne vaut pas son prix, la version à 25€ est largement suffisante, une fois de plus l'édition France n'est pas à la hauteur.

Nice 5-disc box set, 2 UHD (the director's cut + cinema) 3 blu ray (idem UHD + 1 bonus BD) I did not find any trace of the 1983 TV version which, however, should have been present it seems to me, it must be said that the communication on the subject was rather random, the quality is at the meeting on the 2 UHD image and sound (VO),
the goodies, only the book is worth it, 14 pages (rather light) soft and not hard cover as seen on the visuals, the rest is dispensable, the discs are placed in cardboard inserts within the digipack and are difficult to take out without leaving traces, not practical, a nice digibook would have been more adequate, in conclusion a nice box, but without the TV version and with 2 useless Bds is not worth its price, the 25€ version is more than enough, once again the more the French edition is not up to par.

It just seems odd that online reviews are claiming that the extended version is missing, which perhaps merits an investigation or clarification from owners if possible.
Bodhi_Sarkar

Postby Bodhi_Sarkar » 26 May 2023 10:50

For info on the (yet unreviewed) Scandinavian release:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/star-t ... ay-4137333

User Elect117 states:
Just a warning. I grabbed one of these on the last deal and it turned not to be the UK version. It was a Swedish version I think. It has English writing and everything but it wasn't a UK copy. For some reason, despite saying on the site and on the back of the actual products box, the copy I got didn't contain the special longer version. There's tiny writing on the bottom of the back cover that states what's on each disc and I managed to compare that to a UK copy and sure enough, the UK copy mentions the longer version on one of the discs whereas the one from here does not. I have no idea how or why that is the case but unfortunately it is. Unless they've since got different copies, I would think these still don't contain that version.

It was their statement above which triggered me to do a little digging on this.
Bodhi_Sarkar

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 28 May 2023 13:02

Bodhi_Sarkar wrote:For info on the (yet unreviewed) Scandinavian release:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/star-t ... ay-4137333

User Elect117 states:
Just a warning. I grabbed one of these on the last deal and it turned not to be the UK version. It was a Swedish version I think. It has English writing and everything but it wasn't a UK copy. For some reason, despite saying on the site and on the back of the actual products box, the copy I got didn't contain the special longer version. There's tiny writing on the bottom of the back cover that states what's on each disc and I managed to compare that to a UK copy and sure enough, the UK copy mentions the longer version on one of the discs whereas the one from here does not. I have no idea how or why that is the case but unfortunately it is. Unless they've since got different copies, I would think these still don't contain that version.

It was their statement above which triggered me to do a little digging on this.

That seems like it would make sense as the 4K disc with the longer version/theatrical version has no Scandinavian subtitles. The reviewer about doesn't confirm which version they got ("Swedish version I think" isn't concrete evidence), so we can't use that info to add to our site.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Bodhi_Sarkar » 28 May 2023 18:50

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:That seems like it would make sense as the 4K disc with the longer version/theatrical version has no Scandinavian subtitles. The reviewer about doesn't confirm which version they got ("Swedish version I think" isn't concrete evidence), so we can't use that info to add to our site.

100% agree with you on this and adding the scandanavian version is not my request for the reasons that you've just identified. Hence why I said "for info." That's not my intent of this supposed correction.

However the online evidence (i.e., packaging info and owner reviews) for the French and German releases seems to strongly suggest that the special extended version is omitted.

Do you know where the French and German specs were obtained from? For example, was it a dvdcompare.net forum user? Could they be consulted?

If it cannot be disproved because there is no one that can be consulted (i.e., who owns a copy) then fair enough. There's nothing I can do to disprove the existing conclusion of the French and German releases beyond highlighting the evidence linked in my earlier posts. It would be good to have it confirmed by owners of the set but appreciate that it's never always possible. Thank you anyway for your fantastic community based work to this site.
Bodhi_Sarkar

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 02 Jun 2023 00:17

I added them through online info from unboxings etc. Disc IDs seem to match so there seemed to be no question about it. If you can point to who exactly said the discs were different, and if they had evidence, we'll update the listings.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests