Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) UHD + Blu-ray UPDATED

Corrections to existing comparisons can now be submitted here!

Moderator: Forum Team

Forum rules
  • Please keep the maximum number of correction threads you have open to three at a time.
  • Do not put UPDATE or UPDATED in the title of your submissions.

Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) UHD + Blu-ray UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 05 Apr 2024 13:51

Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) UHD + Blu-ray

https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/ ... ?fid=67755
https://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/ ... ?fid=67754

Blu-ray ALL America - Mondo Macabro [2024 Release]
Limited Edition

1. Commentary track on export version is longer, with additional dialogue at various points.
(It seems to be mostly around the points with the unclothed shots, but I have not worked out precise details. As far as I can tell, there is no alternate dialogue exclusive to the standard (a.k.a. Spanish) version, I think it just omits some sections.)

2. The export version is a composite of the 4K scan and inserts from 16mm / digital video / analog video sources.
(This is according to the onscreen text shown prior to the start of the export version. This text screen lasts for 0:40, and is separate to the movie, so does not make up part of the main runtime of the movie).

3. The 4 art cards are double sided.

-
source: I own it
Darrel_Griffin

Re: Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) UHD + Blu-ray

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 09 Apr 2024 11:51

Darrel_Griffin wrote:1. Commentary track on export version is longer, with additional dialogue at various points.

Obviously, as it has a longer runtime.

Updated.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) UHD + Blu-ray UPDATED

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 10 Apr 2024 11:15

Well, you might say the commentary track on the export version would obviously be longer, as the runtime of that version of the movie is longer. However, it might have been that the longer commentary track merely had some portions of silence, with no extra diagloue. I am making the point that it contains additional dialogue not in the Spanish version's commentary. Therefore, it is best to listen to the export version's commentary.

As I said, as far as I can tell, there is no dialogue exclusive to the Spanish version's commentary. I cannot absolutely confirm this, but If true, then there would be no point listening to the Spanish version's commentary, only the export version's commentary.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 10 Apr 2024 13:19

Would be better to leave it as blank until someone can verify by listening to both.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 11 Apr 2024 10:57

Well I did listen to the Export version commentary in its entirety, and also checked the Spanish version's commentary for the portions that had alternate (clothed) scenes, which are generally shorter in duration. What I found was that some of the dialogue sections were not present with the latter, but I did not hear any exclusive dialogue. Instead, it just carried on with dialouge that appears later on the Export version.

I did not listen to the Spanish version's commentary in its entirety, but it would be very difficult to do a thorough conparison of both - it would probably require playing a few seconds of one, then the correspnding few seconds of the other, and alternating this for the entire movie, which in turn would necessitate selecting each movie in turn and navigating to the correct position each time. This would take many hours and be extremely tedious, and would be very unlikely to be fruitful anyway.

I think it is reasonable to assume that the Spanish version's commentary does not include any exclusive dialogue. In any case, the Export version definitely does, and I think this should be added to the notes. The way I see it, it would be useful for people to know this, so they don't accidentally listen to the shorter commentary, only to find there is dialogue they have not heard, meaning they would then have to listen to the Export version's commentary, or at the very least navigate to the relevant sections, in order to hear the bits they missed.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 12 Apr 2024 03:33

So basically, identical in content?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 12 Apr 2024 09:58

No, NOT identical.

What I said was:

"...some of the dialogue sections were not present with the latter..."
(the "latter" being the Spanish version commentary)

In other words, some sections in the Export version commentary are not present in the Spanish version commentary.

However, at least during the sections where the shots are differ in each version, the Spanish version commentary does not contain any exclusive dialogue, because I checked and compared these sections myself. Therefore, the only possible places where there could potentially be exclusive dialogue in the Spanish version commentary are the portions where the shots are the same in both versions, and this seems highly unlikely, as there would be no reason for them to differ during these portions.

But there definitely IS exclusive dialogue in the Export version commentary.

To clarify further, let's say that at a part of the movie where the shots differ:
In the Export version commentary, it has consecutive dialogue sections: A, B, C.
In the Spanish version commentary, it has dialogue sections: A, C.
So the Spanish version commentary misses out section B, and proceeds immediately from section A to section C, meaning that section B is exclusive to the Export version commentary.
Darrel_Griffin

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 Apr 2024 23:51

Updated as "The two commentaries are mostly identical in content, with some additional content in the scenes exclusive to the export version."
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Darrel_Griffin » 16 Apr 2024 15:36

Yes that works perfectly, thanks!
Darrel_Griffin

Return to Comparison Corrections