Carry On Columbus - R0 Australia - possible Bootleg

In an effort to weed out bootlegs from the database and prevent new ones, those threads that fit the bill can be created or moved here.

Moderator: Forum Team

Carry On Columbus - R0 Australia - possible Bootleg

Postby Oliver_Wicks » 20 Jul 2021 22:12

Title: Carry On Columbus
Region: 0
Releasing Studio: JL
Case Type: Amaray Keep
Aspect Ratio: 1:33:1
Anamorphic?: No
PAL or NTSC?: PAL
Soundtracks: (If a silent film, also state score composer and performer) English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles (are they optional?): N/A
Cuts: (and if you know it, precise run time) None - 87:15
Commentaries: N/A
Extras: N/A
Notes: The case erroneously states a runtime of 90mins.
Easter Eggs: N/A
Amazon ASIN (US, UK, Canada, France, Germany, Italy or Spain): ‎B0053XZ94Q
Source: I own it

I bought this a few months back from an Amazon UK Marketplace seller (LINK) but have had my doubts about its legitimacy ever since it arrived. The DVD is a proper pressed disc and the transfer is of a very meh quality and uses the old style Australian Censors logo for PG rated films but other than a 2006 copyright notice in small print on the bottom of the case for a company called "JL", there's nothing to indicate who the distributor is. I'm 99% sure this is a bootleg, because there are very similar releases on Amazon.com from the notorious Bootleggers "Jef Films" and "La Entertainment" but on the UK site there are several releases without any studio info in the description (including the one I bought), though there is 1 that claims to be from Warner Bros. (who did have the Home Video rights at one point according to IMDB). It's because I'm not 100% sure this one is a bootleg, that I created this thread in the Bootleg investigations forum :). If it turns out this is a bootleg, it's going straight out for recycling and be turned into a road surface somewhere!
Wise man once say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

American components, Russian components AND ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!! - Lev Andropov (Armageddon)
Oliver_Wicks

Re: Carry On Columbus - R0 Australia - possible Bootleg

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Jul 2021 23:24

Seems like Roadshow has (had?) the Australian distribution rights which makes this "JL" release seem iffy.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Bootleg Investigations