In Theatres

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Re: In Theatres

Postby Noor_Razzak » 29 May 2016 19:45

X-Men: Apocalypse - Before going into this film I was relatively excited, considering I really love this franchise and X-Men: Days of Future Past was a solid film. The negative response to Apocalypse's look really put a damper on things - but I didn't mind the look. Overall the film has a lot going on, the characters introduced are very cool, the action sequences for the most part are well done and I really liked delving back into Magneto's past and the relationship between Professor X and Moira... Despite the spectacle there were a lot of inconsistencies in the film, it was a little overstuffed with too much being crammed in, and the film's final climax wasn't as engaging or as interesting as it could have been. 6.5/10.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 06 Jun 2016 20:44

The last couple of weeks...

X-Men: Apocalypse - Better than I had expected. I really enjoyed this one despite the very loose plot. Leaves a lot open for the next film and various directions they could take. 8/10

Warcraft - I've never delved into the games, but I thought this movie was a decent enough popcorn flick. Despite the long run time, it could have been longer as the story was under-developed, but seemingly Duncan Jones wants to add quite a bit of footage for a home release. 6/10

Alice Through the Looking Glass - Sacha Baron Cohen is the real star here. Best scenes are the ones at the beginning and end away from the fantasy land. 5/10

Money Monster - A friend hated it and I generally have similar taste, but this was an enjoyable short romp with a good cast. Nothing special, but a decent blockbuster. 7/10

The Nice Guys - Just back from this one. My favourite of the year so far. Shane Black's script is on point, and Russell Crowe + Ryan Gosling was a perfect match up. Brilliant. A day one purchase for me. 9/10
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 07 Jun 2016 16:50

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Nice Guys - Just back from this one. My favourite of the year so far. Shane Black's script is on point, and Russell Crowe + Ryan Gosling was a perfect match up. Brilliant. A day one purchase for me. 9/10

As good as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"?
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 07 Jun 2016 18:14

Ain_Uussaar wrote:
Samuel_Scott wrote:The Nice Guys - Just back from this one. My favourite of the year so far. Shane Black's script is on point, and Russell Crowe + Ryan Gosling was a perfect match up. Brilliant. A day one purchase for me. 9/10

As good as "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang"?

I think the writing was slightly tighter in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (which I also love) but the cast in The Nice Guys was slightly better suited.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 08 Jun 2016 16:18

Me Before You - Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Cast is perfect, writing spot on, and the story - though formulaic - kept me glued. 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 09 Jun 2016 09:27

The Nice Guys - Loved it! What a terrific romp, the story was engaging, loved the chemistry between Crowe and Gosling, the setting, the style, the scripting, all sharp and well executed. Easily stands up along side Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and has jumped to the top of my list of the years' best so far - 9/10.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. (Office Space)
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 13 Jun 2016 21:02

The Conjuring 2 - Not as good as the first as it relies a little more on jump scares than atmosphere, but still a genuinely good horror that can be tense at all the right times. Wilson and Farmiga are great too. 7/10

The Boss - I though Melissa McCarthy was turning a corner after The Heat and Spy. Maybe I was wrong. 4/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 02 Jul 2016 05:47

Independence Day: Resurgence - All the hallmarks that made the original such a hit are essentially reproduced here but with a mostly new cast (and a bunch of returning cast members) and glossy modern special effects. The original film had some memorable characters played by the charismatic Will Smith as well as the bat-shit crazy and continually drunk Randy Quaid (not too far from what he's actually like now) which made that film somewhat watchable, that and the insanely good for the time special effects. One of the major problems with this new edition is that it lacks the charisma and sense of fun of it's predecessor. The new cast doesn't really cut it and the returning cast (aside from Bill Pullman and Brent Spiner) are relegated to smaller parts swept aside by the grander scale of things. On the plus side, the special effects are incredibly good, jaw droppingly good, but the devastation fells all too familiar. 5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 17 Jul 2016 00:11

Ghostbusters - I am a huge fan of the original, but unlike a lot of the haters I don't care that this is an all female cast. I just don't get the hate, especially from people that have not seen the film or even given it the slightest chance, because they should. The screening I went to was packed, and the film was a pleasant surprise. It won't replace the love I feel for the original, but this is far from the butcher job that a lot of people are saying it is. The four female leads killed it, they were charming, funny, witty, and played off each other with incredible skill. Kate Mckinnon stole the show in many scenes, as does Chris Hemsworth. The special effects are terrific, the 3D looks great, the movie is incredibly funny from start to finish and there are nice homages to the original throughout the film and we're even treated to a ton of surprising and inspired cameos from original cast members. There is a bit of man hating in some of the jokes, but really let's just get over it shall we? Ghostbusters does not deserve the hate it's been getting, give it a chance, it was a fun ride 8/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 20 Jul 2016 22:37

Ghostbusters - I didn't like it quite as much as Noor, but it was certainly much better than expected. Some solid laughs, some great CGI and apart from a couple of mis-steps (the character releasing the ghosts, the falling into the vortex) I came away pretty happy and wanting a sequel. 3.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 25 Jul 2016 20:40

The BFG - I grew up reading Roald Dahl's books and The BFG is of course one of the best. Although this is very good, it isn't classic Spielberg. I found it took a little too long to really get going, but the visual effects were superb and I've certainly seen worse child actors. A solid 7/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 27 Jul 2016 17:10

Jason Bourne - Predictable story, but excellent set pieces. Vincent Cassel stole the show. If you've enjoyed the previous Damon Bourne films, then this is worth going to see - 7/10

Also picked up my ticket for the midnight showing of Suicide Squad next week. :)
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Aug 2016 01:55

Suicide Squad - The cast was perfect, especially Margot Robbie and Viola Davis, but the overall product was very underwhelming and they just didn't manage to get the story to be involving. A bit disappointing after one of the best trailers in recent memory. 6/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 05 Aug 2016 18:18

Samuel_Scott wrote:Suicide Squad - The cast was perfect, especially Margot Robbie and Viola Davis, but the overall product was very underwhelming and they just didn't manage to get the story to be involving. A bit disappointing after one of the best trailers in recent memory. 6/10

Too bad, I tought I'd go see it in cinema but reviews are so bad. :(
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 05 Aug 2016 22:21

I didn't think it was bad, it just wasn't what I had hoped for. It did fall short, but I also think the critics have been overly harsh.
Samuel_Scott

Postby Samuel_Scott » 10 Aug 2016 19:32

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates - Predictable and harmless comedy. There were some very funny scenes (the MDMA/ecstasy scene), and some that just didn't hit at all and were very overplayed (the massage scene). 5/10
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 11 Aug 2016 16:02

Suicide Squad - I went to see this in IMAX the other day, the critics certainly savaged this film and I don't think it was entirely warranted. While it wasn't as great as the trailers made it out to be, it was definitely far from the incomprehensible mess most are making it out to be (It's still a mess, just not as big as reviewers are reporting). The film is for the most part entertaining, and the characters play well off each other. The film's visual style is fantastic and David Ayer has a knack for stylish production design, slick editing, and the use of a kinetic and vibrant soundtrack. Sadly the film couldn't maintain a cohesive and straightforward plot, probably caused by the reshoots and the studio's interference after the disappointing outing of Batman v Superman to "lighten" the mood of the film. There's a lot of characters to introduce and feature, and we don't get enough time for that, so character development and motivations are left on the cutting room floor in favour of action. Some characters do things or don't do things/not react to events that will baffle you (not saying what to avoid spoilers), I liked Jared Leto's Joker, but it was a throwaway character with little depth, plus I still hate the look of the character. I wish I could go into more depth here but in order to do that would mean spoilers, there's a lot in regards to the plot and characters that bothered me. 6/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Noor_Razzak » 13 Aug 2016 23:44

Jason Bourne - I really like this series, especially the last two Paul Greengrass entries. Bourne Legacy I can take it or leave it, this new film with returning torchbearer Matt Damon as the title character felt like the filmmakers grasping at straws to keep the series alive. The action was awesome, but the story tried too hard to seem relevant. 6/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Samuel_Scott » 15 Aug 2016 20:44

Nerve - Wasn't expecting much from this one at all, but it took me by surprise and really drew me in for the first 45 minutes. Unfortunately, it got a little old a little fast and the ending was dreadful. 2.5/5
Samuel_Scott

Postby Noor_Razzak » 17 Aug 2016 16:08

Today I saw three movies, one at the cinema and a double bill at a drive-in cinema (my first time going to a drive-in).

Star Trek Beyond - Overall a decent entry into the series, it was fun, exciting and the effects where terrific. I had some issues with it, primarily the modern music as a weapon... that was a little lame. Otherwise it was a fun ride. 7/10

Finding Dory - I love Pixar and they nailed it yet again, while not as funny as Finding Nemo, it still held its own and was a terrific movie! So much fun, good laughs and some great new characters. Loved it 9/10.

The BFG - I wasn't all too excited about this to be honest, but it was a pleasant surprise, the giant was great, Mark Rylance's performance was awesome, the visual effects by Weta Digital where among the best I've seen, splendid visuals. There where some let downs, the character Sophie was annoying, I find most child actors annoying and she fits that bill perfectly. The story was fairly rudimentary but I suppose it is a kid's movie. 6.5/10.
Noor_Razzak
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion