Rush Hour (1998) Subtitles Query

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Rush Hour (1998) Subtitles Query

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 31 Aug 2017 16:06

Does anyone know if the Warner-Home-Video UK DVD (released around October 2010) of "Rush Hour (1998)" contains subtitles during the chinese dialogue scenes? Also, does anyone know what kind of extras the DVD has included?
***The W-H-V UK DVD release is not currently listed here on dvdcompare btw (perhaps that can be added later).

The old UK DVD release by Entertainment-In-Video is listed on site and says it does not include subtitles during those scenes (many Amazon.co.uk peoples reviews say the same). Also there is a trilogy boxset (with all three "Rush Hour" movies included in it) - does the version of Rush Hour in this boxset contain subtitles, anyone know?
***The UK trilogy boxset is not currently listed here on dvdcompare either.

Also there appears to be some major confusion as to the certificate rating of this film. The old UK DVD E-I-V release seemed to list it as a 12-rating, the UK W-H-V re-release lists it as an 18-rating, the UK trilogy boxset overall is listed as a 12-rating, but UK Blu-Ray + IMDB list it as 15-rating! Normally I do not put much faith into Amazon.co.uk DVD-item-stats or IMDB - so I don't know what to believe! :-?
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Rush Hour (1998) Subtitles Query

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 01 Sep 2017 16:08

I haven't seen the movie in years. Were the Chinese scenes supposed to be subtitled? I don't remember off hand.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 01 Sep 2017 17:51

I can only assume they were meant to be subtitled - I think I read on peoples Amazon reviews that there were several times that were spoken in chinese and no subtitles, and the peoples reviews seemed rather upset about how they couldn't understand anything.
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 17 Sep 2017 14:17

Can anyone help with this please?
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Samuel_Scott » 17 Sep 2017 14:30

Don't give much weight to peoples reviews on Amazon. The place is full of people who 'remember' certain things, and Amazon has a horrible tendency to condense reviews for titles across all releases.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 17 Sep 2017 15:04

Samuel_Scott wrote:Don't give much weight to peoples reviews on Amazon. The place is full of people who 'remember' certain things, and Amazon has a horrible tendency to condense reviews for titles across all releases.

Well Samuel, it's not just Amazon reviews I query this:

On the Rush Hour DVD page on this site http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=317 for the UK DVD it says on the notes:
"Special thanks to Rewind user MuDvAyNiAn for confirming that this release has NO English Subtitles for when anybody speaks Chinese during The Film"
(No other country DVD posting has similar notes - I forgot to mention this when I first started this topic - I keep doing that sorry :oops: ). It seems likely that this note was added there for that important reason that the (original only?) UK DVD release is missing those crucial subtitles - hence why I'm curious to know if the UK DVD re-release + trilogy boxset includes them or not...
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Sep 2017 14:57

I noticed that on our site, but we have no confirmation of any of the other releases having subtitles for the Chinese portions. Looking at a BDinfo report via capsaholic there is only ONE English subtitle track for "Rush Hour" - a fully subtitled track captioning the English dialogue. Now I do not have the Blu-ray myself (although it is on my wishlist) and I've looked around online to find answers but no luck at the moment.

Just my guess - the Chinese was intentionally left unsubbed. Bu again, once I put in my next Amazon order, I will order the Rush Hour Trilogy.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion