Twister (1996) UK DVD uncut? Help please

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Twister (1996) UK DVD uncut? Help please

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 03 Oct 2017 16:15

I have another query concerning another title with possible censor-cuts on UK DVD releases (a common topic for me). :-D The movie "Twister (1996)" in the UK has had in its past a couple of censor cuts involving x2 "F"-words" - removed to get the PG-rating in the UK. On the page for "Twister (1996)" http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=196 there are x2 UK DVD listings. The first is as follows:
R2 United Kingdom - Universal Pictures
Original
Extras:
Theatrical trailer
Cast & crew bios
Subtitles:
Norwegian, Finnish, Danish, Swedish, Czech, Dutch, Polish
Portuguese and English
Aspect Ratio:
2.35:1
Picture Format:
Anamorphic
TV System:
PAL
Soundtrack(s):
English Dolby Digital 5.1
French Dolby Digital 5.1
German Dolby Digital 5.1
Italian Dolby Digital 5.1
Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Case type:
Keep Case
Notes:
Packaging incorrectly states this release to have production notes.
This release is now OOP.

The second is as follows:
R2 United Kingdom - Universal Pictures
Special Edition
Commentaries:
Audio commentary by director Jan DeBont and visual effects supervisor Stefan Fangmeier
Extras:
"The Making Of Twister" documentary
"Anatomy Of The Twister" featurette
"Humans Being" music video by Van Halen
Teaser Trailer
Subtitles:
English HoH
Aspect Ratio:
2.35:1
Picture Format:
Anamorphic
TV System:
PAL
Soundtrack(s):
English DTS 5.1
English Dolby Digital 5.1
Case type:
Keep Case
Notes:
Also region 4 encoded.
Special thanks to Rewind user Movie Mad for providing these specifications.

For the first one above, it says OOP - I assume that means out-of-print?

For the second one above, it says it is a "Special Edition". I have looked on Amazon.co.uk (and other sites) and I cannot find a UK-DVD Special Edition (not on the product title or image cover anyway). There are some listings for Twister "Special Edition" on Amazon.co.uk but these appear to be German / Italian / U.S imports NOT UK. Also I know the information I found off of Amazon.co.uk might not be entirely accurate or reliable, but it's the best I can go on for the moment...

On Amazon.co.uk I have found several Twister DVD listings (I do not include any Blu-Ray search results):

**One listing has release date as 2002 - is this the OOP version listed above? Amazon sometimes leaves OOP listings listed on its site (Note: Amazon details suggest main country / language for this is in fact French, so maybe this isn't the OOP?)
**One listing has release date as 2006 - is this version (though it does not state it) the "Special Edition" version? (Most other websites for buying UK DVD's say the release date is 2006 also)
**Several listings say "Special Edition" as title or on the image cover, but these appear to be non-UK import versions

So suffice to say I am very confused and I don't know what versions listed anywhere are what. And though I don't mean to query Rewind user "Movie Mad" for the second listing above, I do kind of wonder about the "Special Edition" DVD-data - I wonder whether it might be an import copy of some sort, and/or if it is really uncut. I'm not sure the UK cuts have ever been waived (unless it was re-released uncut accidentally without the DVD companies realising). I only wonder all this due to my other recent UK-DVD title queries concerning UK DVD censor-cuts like "Mrs Doubtfire" + "Edward Scissorhands".

So, again can anyone help - maybe Rewind user "Movie Mad" can double check? Any help is appreciated, thanks. :wink:
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Twister (1996) UK DVD uncut? Help please

Postby Samuel_Scott » 03 Oct 2017 20:37

Amazon have condensed several releases into one page here unfortunately.

The uncut version has a DTS logo middle of the front cover (barcode is 3259190695221) and only a Universal logo.

The first release as a red widescreen banner along the bottom and was an early joint release between Universal and Columbia TriStar/Gaumont (often referred to as UCA). Barcode is 5035822000841.

Uncut:

Cut:

I'll remove the SE tag shortly.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 04 Oct 2017 07:32

Samuel_Scott wrote:Amazon have condensed several releases into one page here unfortunately.

The uncut version has a DTS logo middle of the front cover (barcode is 3259190695221) and only a Universal logo.

The first release as a red widescreen banner along the bottom and was an early joint release between Universal and Columbia TriStar/Gaumont (often referred to as UCA). Barcode is 5035822000841.

OK, thankyou for clearing up which one is which for me Samuel - I did find during my research that they said Twister had an early DVD release, and I found some postings on other websites with the red widescreen banner along the bottom suggesting that was the early release version, but I just wasn't 100% sure.

However, are we still sure that this re-release is uncut? Unless the DVD companies overlooked it when they re-released it, it is unusual for any movies to be released in the UK as a PG-rating with F-words in them (without them censoring/cutting them first). Don't know why BBFC are so afraid of this particular swear word in movies - IMO any swear word is as bad as another, but BBFC are unnecessarily strict with the F-word in many films... :x
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Samuel_Scott » 04 Oct 2017 08:21

The Blu-ray is also uncut and PG. I do own the alleged uncut DVD also but god only knows which box that would be in storage as it is an older release. I do remember going through it with someone ten + years ago though so I'm pretty sure.
I work away a lot but I will reply to all PM's within a few days so please have patience!
My 2015 viewing diary - http://www.letterboxd.com/samdvd1/films ... year/2015/
Goal for 2016: 730 films.
Samuel_Scott
Deceased - Former Rewind Staff

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 04 Oct 2017 14:03

Samuel_Scott wrote:The Blu-ray is also uncut and PG. I do own the alleged uncut DVD also but god only knows which box that would be in storage as it is an older release. I do remember going through it with someone ten + years ago though so I'm pretty sure.

Oh, I guess it's one of those odd instances where the censoring of F-words for a PG-rating got under the radar of the BBFC or something. Oh well glad to know it's uncut, thanks Samuel. :-D
Ewan_McMahon

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion