Mrs Doubtfire (Family Fun Edition) UK DVD - Help

A place to discuss DVDs and Blu-Rays!

Moderator: Forum Team

Mrs Doubtfire (Family Fun Edition) UK DVD - Help

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 09 Sep 2017 16:32

Hello again everyone. Can anyone help with a new problem I have found... Can anyone please confirm that the UK DVD "Mrs Doubtfire - Family Fun Edition" is uncut? I've been reading stuff on other websites and I'm kind of confused: :-?

On the DVD page for title "Mrs Doubtfire" http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=829 it says one UK DVD release (the first UK DVD release I think) was censor-cut, but "Mrs Doubtfire - Family Fun Edition" DVD is uncut (cuts were waived). I assume the UK DVD "Family Fun Edition" is this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mrs-Doubtfire- ... +doubtfire
This Amazon listing has it listed as PG on both the data-listing and the item-image (though I don't put much faith in any of Amazon DVD-data-listings :( ).

Meanwhile melonfarmers.co.uk http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/hitsm_mn. ... _doubtfire says some stuff about these versions too, but if I read them correctly they say the "Family Fun Edition" UK DVD is still cut like the first UK DVD release. Trouble is the data+info on melonfarmers is somewhat confusing and possibly contradictive. :o I think the the UK Blu-Ray was reclassified as 12-rating and is uncut, but that's something different.

So anyway I don't know what to think, and wonder if anyone has the UK DVD "Family Fun Edition" they can check maybe? *The dvdcompare listings page might also need updating if this version does turn out to be cut*

Here is a link to movie-censorship.com that gives details about the (only?) censor-cut scene to look out for:
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=847584
Ewan_McMahon

Re: Mrs Doubtfire (Family Fun Edition) UK DVD - Help

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 16 Sep 2017 16:40

Can anyone help please? Does no one have a copy?
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 20 Sep 2017 14:49

I personally could not find any info on the "family fun" edition. Tried looking again and no luck. Anyone else? I only have this on Blu-ray
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 22 Sep 2017 19:45

Here is an update of information I have noticed:

On the BBFC website (and mentioned on melonfarmers.co.uk with links to BBFC) there has been a recently uploaded podcast and article page about Mrs Doubtfire (see the following two links);

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/case-studies/mrs-doubtfire
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/case-studies/podc ... -doubtfire

Quite honestly it is enough to confuse me further - but if I interpret what I heard and read from these correctly, the uncut version of Mrs Doubtfire was only made available (after) late 2012. Now I can only go by Amazon release date data (not necessarily reliable) but judging by that, the release date of "Mrs Doubtfire (Family Fun Edition) UK DVD" was in fact long before the 2012 waived cuts decision was made. So this further seems to suggest the current listing of the UK DVD Family Fun Edition Uncut on this site might not be accurate/is cut - all the more reason we need someone with a copy to double check ASAP please! :lol:

I have not found any 12-rating uncut UK DVD (any edition-formats) listed anywhere online (though I doubt any website is likely to update old ratings data and DVD-cover images). I wonder if the UK BluRay is the only version that is 12-rating uncut? If that is true, it's just typical that neither the podcast or the article page technically say anywhere only BluRay is uncut and not the basic DVD format - there is a big difference between DVD and BluRay after all.

I can kind of understand and forgive them for not re-releasing the same title again with a new rating when older versions might still be on shop shelves, but why not just withdraw or phase out the old versions? Sigh - sounds like another "Edward Scissorhands" PG-DVD/12-BluRay re-release at the same time, kind of case this - makes me really angry. :evil:
Ewan_McMahon

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 24 Sep 2017 00:39

We don't have a record of who gave the specs for the UK Family Fun DVD and who stated that it was uncut on our site.
That does seem to make sense that it would be the cut version - as it has the PG logo and that it was released prior to the 2012 "12" rating.

Ewan if you happen to find it and buy it and able to check the disc for us, that would be very grateful! :-D
Do you happen to have any edition of Mrs Doubtfire on DVD? Our database is missing the runtimes of both UK DVDs here.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ewan_McMahon » 24 Sep 2017 07:38

James-Masaki_Ryan wrote:Ewan if you happen to find it and buy it and able to check the disc for us, that would be very grateful! :-D
Do you happen to have any edition of Mrs Doubtfire on DVD? Our database is missing the runtimes of both UK DVDs here.

Unfortunatly James I do not have a copy of either version. If I do ever happen to get hold of either version I will happily add the run-time data. In the mean time, anyone else out there have either UK copy data available?
Ewan_McMahon

Postby Mark_Meakin » 03 Oct 2017 11:21

I don't have it either.On a related matter I've bought two copies of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with the '12' rating on the sleeve but both copies (One from CEX & one from a charity shop) contained the 'PG' version with the 'F' word removed. Can anybody confirm if this was definitely re-issued uncut ?.
Mark_Meakin
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 Oct 2017 14:11

I have the UK "Christmas Vacation" Blu-ray. It has a 12 rating. At what point is the F word used?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Postby Ain_Uussaar » 05 Oct 2017 18:23

1:23:16 :-D ( I have the UK "Ultimate Vacation" set )
Ain_Uussaar
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to DVD & Blu-Ray Discussion