Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) UPDATED

A collection of completed Requests and Submissions as of December 28th 2014. This is for reference only.

Moderator: Forum Team

Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) UPDATED

Postby Richard_Ovenall » 29 Apr 2021 00:17

This is for a different Region 1 NTSC North American DVD release of Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) from Paramount Home Entertainment.

Disc One:
________

Episodes:
________

- "The Southbound Bus" (46:50)
- "Show Me the Way Home" (46:21)
- "Tough Love" (47:12)
- "Fallen Angela" (46:35)

Extras:
______

Audio commentary on "The Southbound Bus" by Martha Williamson and Jon Andersen
Audio commentary on "Tough Love" from Tim Van Patten and Phylicia Rashad

Disc Two:
________

Episodes:
________

- "Cassie's Choice" (46:24)
- "The Heart of the Matter" (46:44)
- "An Unexpected Snow" (47:12)
- "Manny" (47:13)

Disc Three:

Episodes:
________

- "Fear Not!" (46:46)
- "There, But For the Grace of God" (46:14)
- "The Hero" (46:35)
- "Angels on the Air" (45:13)

Extras:
______

- Audio commentary on "Fear Not!" from Tim Van Patten, Martha Williamson and Jon Andersen
- Audio commentary on "There, But for the Grace of God" by Martha Williamson, Jon Andersen and Gregory Harrison

Disc Four:
________

Episode:
_______

- "In the Name of God" (46:14)

Bonus episodes:

- "I Will Walk with You: Part One" (44:05)
- "I Will Walk with You: Part Two" (45:27)

Special features:

- An extended version of Executive Producer Martha Williamson's 60 Minutes interview with Ed Bradley (15:35)
- Martha Williamson talks about Touched by an Angel (07:08)
- Touched by an Angel Says Farewell (02:42)

Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 (special features and bonus episodes are in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio)
Picture Format: Non-Anamorphic
TV System: NTSC
Soundtrack(s): English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
Case type: cardboard slipcase with four slim-line cases inside (one disc in each)
Subtitles: English, Spanish
Cuts: No

There is a Play All option on all four discs for the episodes.

General Notes:

Bonus episodes "I Will Walk with You: Parts One & Two" (the series finale) are presented in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio. But in Touched by an Angel: The Ninth and Final Season (the Region 1 NTSC DVD release by Paramount Home Entertainment), they are presented in a widescreen aspect ratio (the only season of the show filmed in widescreen).

All thirteen episodes in this set were produced for the first season, but two of them ("Angels in the Air" and "In the Name of God") were shown as part of the second season (hence why the rear boxart for Touched by an Angel: The Second Season (the Region 1 NTSC DVD release by Paramount Home Entertainment) states that it contains 22 episodes (there were 24 episodes in total in the second season).
Richard_Ovenall

Re: Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995)

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 01 May 2021 06:24

Richard_Ovenall wrote:This is for a different Region 1 NTSC North American DVD release of Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) from Paramount Home Entertainment.

This is different from the one we already have?
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=9152
Please provide the ASIN.
Aspect Ratio: 1.37:1 (special features and bonus episodes are in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio)

Did you measure this out to be 1.37:1? Because television was in the broadcast ratio of 1.33:1. Does this play with small black bars on the top and bottom of the screen when played on a 4x3 display?
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995)FAO Ric

Postby Richard_Ovenall » 05 May 2021 00:06

This is a different North American Region 1 NTSC release, as it includes two other episodes produced for the first season (but which didn't air until the second season).

Yes, I forgot to add the Amazon.com link for this release:

https://www.amazon.com/Touched-Angel-Co ... -tv&sr=1-3

However, it appears to be the same as on the existing listing page. But that listing does not have the full list of extras or episodes. I think I purchased the first season set on Amazon.co.uk.

There are black bars on my display only on the left and right-hand sides of the display. There have been black bars at the top and bottom of the screen as well, with what I've watched of the series so far (as far as the start of the third season), but only on the title sequence and end credits. I was under the impression that American TV series even back in the sixties and seventies are presented on DVD in the 1.37:1 aspect ratio.
Richard_Ovenall

Re: Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995)FAO Ric

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 05 May 2021 02:30

1.33:1 was the broadcast ratio and should fill 4x3 displays fully. If it was 1.37:1, there would be slight black bars on the top and bottom of the screen to compensate for the slightly wider ratio for a non-anamorphic transfer 4x3. It was common for titles and credits to be windowboxed so names and copyright wouldn't get cropped, but that's rare for the HD era.

From what you explained, it seems like a standard 1.33:1 ratio, but if you measure it differently then it will be updated.
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Re: Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) UPDATE

Postby Richard_Ovenall » 13 May 2021 00:38

I've noticed the DVD Compare listing page for my submission says (1994) for when the season aired, when actually new episodes also aired in the United States in early 1995, so it should say beside Touched by an Angel: The First Season, (1994-1995). It has the original US airdates on the DVD sleeves.
Richard_Ovenall

Re: Touched by an Angel: The First Season (1994-1995) UPDATE

Postby James-Masaki_Ryan » 13 May 2021 13:54

Fixed it. Thanks!
James-Masaki_Ryan
Rewind Moderator
Rewind Moderator

Return to Completed Submissions and Requests